10 Things I’ve Learned.
I have learned some key lessons that took a little bit of time to learn but will help me actually be able to have a fresh start and make the changes in my life that I want to make. I think it’s funny that people are calling me out as if changes happen over night and as if they know me well enough to see if anything has changed or not. Regardless… these are just some things I have learned.
- It is far more important to have a small group of true, loyal, and caring friends than a large group of fake friends hanging around for all the wrong reasons. When the party stops and the damage is done, who’s there to help pick you up? Only your true friends.
- If you truly love a person and want to plan a future together, you have to be completely understanding, sensitive, and observant of who they are and what they need. If they are above everyone else in your life and they are “it” for you, you can never walk away, you can never drift your eyes from theirs, and you can not by any means let someone come between the two of you.
- Sometimes the only person that you need in your life is yourself. It’s okay to be selfish once in a while and isolate yourself from the world to fix yourself in a healthy way. It’s harder when you’re alone, but sometimes it’s exactly what you need. You don’t always need someone else to make you happy.
- Rushing into a relationship with someone because they care about you a lot and it’s what they want is not always the healthiest way to step back in to dating. Everything takes time and allowing yourself to know everything you can about someone before getting as serious as you can is always a better route. There’s no guarantee it’s going to work with anyone, let alone someone who you can’t even answer what their favorites are and what their pet peeves are.
- The best way to move forward with your life and stay positive on a daily basis is to do what makes YOU happy without concern or regard for what people are going to think of you. If one night you need to let loose and another you need to stay in, do it. If you need to be a workaholic to stay busy and keep your mind off of the negative, then turn all of that negative energy into productive positive energy.
- The only reason anyone should ever make changes in their life is if they either feel they need to make them or understand why others are urging them to make them. Never change just because of how one person feels about something or what one person or a few people are going to think or say. Being yourself, being true to yourself, and staying YOU is what makes you different from the rest of the world.
- No drug, no medicine, no pill, no drink, no person, and no monetary gain can make you feel better than the perfect song playing at the perfect moment can. Being able to relate to someone else’s pain through lyrics and music is the #1 healing remedy for me.
- Falling in love was still the best thing I ever let happen to myself and I will never in a million years for one second regret anything that lead to making me who I am today. Nothing can actually destroy memories. Everything that doesn’t break us, makes us.
- I have really, really, high walls and even the people I know are amazing and good for me cannot knock them down right now so I need to focus on working, taking care of myself, and not trying to be the perfect person for anyone right now.
- I meant every single promise that I made to you. I questioned myself often and felt as though I was never good enough for you and that I always needed to change, but despite any amount of frustration and anger, at the end of the day, I meant the promises that I made. I meant it when I would talk about the future and even if you didn’t, it helps me to know that I was capable of thinking about the future and allowing myself to be so vulnerable.